Sunday, July 13, 2008

When the Cat's Away....

As I last blogged about, both of my children are in Corvallis for two weeks at camp. That means I've had to find things to do to fill the time while they're gone.



So what does a mom do when the kids are gone?

1. Clean house. Not very fun, but there's something cool about cleaning a room and having it stay clean for more than an hour.



2. Craft. I have made 9 LTC's, carved 12 stamps, and planned places to hide all of these lovely stamps! I'm hoping to get out today to do some hiding. I know I'm hiding a couple on Monday, so letterboxers, check back to this blog on Monday for a blog readers only box!



3. Go boxing with friends. Tonk and Dork were available on Wednesday so we headed out to find some boxes in town. It was a nice diversion to get out and about. I am not a stay at home person. I would much rather be out doing things than sitting in the house doing nothing. Or even sitting in the house doing something. Unless of course there's people here to chat with, then I'm happy to sit at home.


4. Read a book. I've finished two books this week and started on another one. The first one I finished was Priestess of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. It is an Arthurian tale and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was under the false impression that it was the last of the Avalon series but was thankful to discover I was wrong! There are three more books. Now I just need to get to the used book store or to the library to pick them up. I am currently reading Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade. This is by Diana Gabaldon, author of the Outlander series. Love it love it love it!




5. Read the news. I have enjoyed sitting for an hour or two each day and reading the news. I always read the news online, because I refuse to watch it on tv. I believe firmly that tv news is bad for society and we'd have a better world if it didn't exist. People are inundated by negative stories over and over as they sit in front of their tv. Unfortunately, most of them don't have the good sense to get up and walk away from it. By reading the news online, I can pick and choose which stories to read. I can choose to be inspired and/or informed but don't have to be hammered with stories about people killing, raping, robbing, etc. I know those things are happening in the world. I don't need to see the pictures and hear about it 10 times a day.

There were several things this weekend that made me go, "Hey, I want to go to that!". Did I? Nope. I stayed home and relaxed and hung out with my honey. Here they are in no particular order.

The Art Hunt (I solved 8 out of 10 of these on day 1. I didn't go out and get them because all of my best boxing buddies were out of town and Dave didn't want to go!)

The Bastille Day Pillow Fight I mean come on! A huge pillow fight in the middle of Portland. How fun would that be?

The Moonlit Bicycle Ride This one really looked like fun. I couldn't have gone even if Dave wanted to because my bike doesn't have lights on it, but it still looked like a lot of fun. One of the rest stops was a disco dance!

So that's what moms do when they're at home with no kids!

3 comments:

Pupp said...

You could have held a small flashlight while riding your bike.

I'm currently reading a Dean Koontz book.

Pupp said...

Oh yeah, clean house too...so I can come over. Do that other stuff too...and if you run outa that, let me know...I'll write ya a list :)

Kris said...

Hey! Is that a whippet in that picture? Cool!