Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Deck

When we moved into this house it had an above ground pool. We spend lots and lots of hours in this pool. Two years ago we talked about putting a deck around it so Dave and I could sit on the deck and watch the kids swim. It didn't happen that summer, nor last summer.

Yesterday Dave surprised me by actually printing out the plans for a deck. He made the first run to Home Depot and the building commenced! My cousin came over to help him and between the three boys (Dave, Rob, and Jay) they got the frame up and ready to go. The only things missing were the deck boards and the railing. Turns out Dave had intentionally not purchased the deck boards so that I couldn't complain about his choice. Smart guy huh? Instead, he sends Pupp and I and the kids to Home Depot armed with a list of measurements and a credit card.

It's an excellent thing that Pupp was with me. There's nothing I hate worse that having to play the dumb female, even when I don't know what I'm doing. It just so happens that Pupp knows wood and taught Samantha what to look for in a good piece of lumber. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find 13 decent pieces of pressure treated 2x6x8? We handled every board that Home Depot had, twice! We finally did get enough boards, and got the nice gentleman with the big saw to cut them in half for me. Turns out, I got the exact boards that Dave wanted, even without him telling me so. Unfortunately, it took so stinking long that we didn't get back until after dark. So work stopped until this morning.

Bright and early I was awoken by the sound of the saw. I coudn't believe it, I wasn't even awake yet and they were out there sawing things. I drug myself out of bed to go and help. With only three more visits to Home Depot and one visit to Lowe's, we finally stopped for the evening. I'm quite in love with the new deck. Sitting in my lounge chair by the water, watching the sun reflect off the water, hearing the kids laugh, it was definately worth the work!

Photos to come soon.

1 comment:

The Currey Family said...

How does Dave feel about you handling Home Depot's wood? Not even once would do it for you; you had to give it another go!