Saturday, August 16, 2008

Family Camp - Boxing

Every year since I started letterboxing we have carved stamps and planted boxes while camping. Three of those years we planted them as individual boxes, all along one trail. We are about 3 miles into that trail now and have 30 some odd boxes on it. This year we went a little different route.

The kids got new fishing equipment and one of the "tackle boxes" was a cheesy little thing so we took all of the tackle out of it and made it into a letterbox. Everyone in camp helped to come up with ideas for things to go in the tackle box. Pupp did the vast majority of the drawing and then everyone (except Jenn and Dave) carved at least one stamp. The finished product was adorable. More than a dozen stamps, all in their little spots, of all different carving abilities. All 4 kids carved along with Pupp, Dork, and I. Now that we had a box ready to go it was time to figure out where to put it!




First we rented a large pontoon boat. Then we took it out on the lake. This is the beautiful lake we boated on for an entire day.



We boated the length of the lake, which looks like THIS.

Do you see the log floats at the left edge of the lake? Here's a close up:

It is completely possible to walk across these. Dork and Lady Macbeth walked a short way on them in order to hide the box. Here's a sneak preview for those that read my blog :)



Yes that log Dork is walking on is the exact log in the clue. All you have to do is get to that location, walk on or shimmy down the log to where it meets the bank and the box will be right in front of you! Aren't we sweet?

I do hope someone eventually gets it. The stamps are adorable. We didn't put very many pages in the logbook, figured it wouldn't get a lot of traffic!

Happy Trails.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sports scientists agree that cardio-boxing is one of the best forms of exercise, because it conditions the total body and provides a complete workout for your cardiovascular and endurance systems. You can get more information about boxing equipment which I browsed on internet can fetch you help.

laurie in maine said...

silly commentor before me ...wrong kind of BOXING!!

We discovered letterboxing this summer and love it.
Your group boxing project sounds glorious!! I even have practice walking across logs tagging along with my husband fishing...trying to keep my feet out of the gooey mud! Water I don't mind but the swamp bogs he dragged me through last weekend were a bit much!

I have a couple of plants for outdoors in the works but planted my very first box yesterday as an altered book at a library.

I hope your logbook has many adventurous seekers!!

Pupp said...

Yep, those are some darn fine stamps.